After seminary I taught English for 2 years. And one of the greatest lessons I learned (besides that you should avoid starting a sentence with "and" or have run-on sentences in the middle of a sentence surrounded by a parenthesis because that annoys people; really bad) is that readers must understand the "whole" before putting together the "part". This is why movies have trailers, videos have summaries and authors on radio programs give you the "jist" of their book. Without the "jist" people lose motivation to fill in the details and see how the plot unfolds.
The same holds true when it comes to understanding God's Word. And that is why I spent last Sunday walking through the "Big Picture" of God's story. Many of you were excited by the chart I spelled out. The chart comes from a book by Vaughn Roberts. It is published by IVP and can be purchased on Amazon -
http://www.gospelcom.net/cgi-ivpress/book.pl/toc/code=5364
I highly recommend this book as a way to bring framework to a book which we usually see as a a combination of "Aesop's Fables", timeless principles and devotional thoughts. The bible comes in narrative. To miss the sweeping movements of that narrative is to miss the message of the Bible. To miss the message of the Bible... yikes!
11/01/2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment